Wednesday 10 April 2013

Monty’s Eurovision Countdown 2013 Part 12 - FINLAND Marry Me by Krista Siegfrids



You Tube link


When I watched this year’s Finnish final there was one song I desperately wanted to not win: this one. In Krista’s early performances she came across as some demented cougar trying to snap up her man, who was likely to be running a million miles in the opposite direction. The video gives it a much more campy , tongue-in-cheek feel which benefits it greatly. I’m not sure quite what puts me off when so many love this, but it’s just not quite working for me. I’m sure that after a few expensive pints of öl on a Malmö dance floor I’ll be putting the fear of god in whichever man I have in own sights at that particular moment by bellowing out my own special rendition of this in the wee small hours (whilst wishing I had the frock and bouquet to accessorise) but for now I’m finding it difficult to enthuse fully. That said by the time Krista reached the final her performance had greatly improved, and this is one of the few fun and lively pop songs we have this year, so perhaps I should just embrace it for its kitsch value? As to how it fares, I genuinely have no idea; it’s a song that in performance could be so easily over-cooked, but at the same time we need to see that Krista is in on the joke. It could be the best three minutes this year, but could also be car-crash viewing.

My score: 6 points

Monty x

No comments:

Post a Comment