Saturday 4 May 2013

Monty’s Eurovision Countdown 2013 Part 30 - ROMANIA It’s My Life by Cesar



You Tube link


You’ll recall that only in my last update for Norway I was remarking it was the kind of thing I’d like to hear more of in the Eurovision Song Contest. Well, with Romania the opposite applies. Every now and then a song comes along that not only can you not work out how it won its national final, but you also can’t quite understand how it ever came to be competing in the first place. Let me start with Cesar’s official biography on the Eurovision website which teases us with the information his voice is “special and ambitious”. With such a description you know you’re going to be in for a treat! Cesar is a countertenor, a rare male voice, seldom heard, so listen very closely (in the semi final) as you may never encounter the likes of this again. I defy anyone to get past Cesar’s enthusiastic launch into the first chorus without stifling a giggle at least, although I’d wager a counter tenner it will be more of a snort or guffaw. The defiance of the title suggests such a song could only be pulled off by either a genuinely carefree performer, or one totally immune to their own limitation. Somehow Cesar manages to be both. A more amusing three minutes you’ll not find this year except for the outtakes of Britain’s Got Talent, though even there I’d give Bucharest the edge. Honestly, where do they dredge these songs up from?

My score: nul points!

Monty x 

No comments:

Post a Comment